Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a printer problem, It us Canon mg5520. It is approx 3

Customer Question

I have a printer problem
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It us Canon mg5520 . It is approx 3 yrs old but only used a few times
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: When I turned it on it gives me an error message b200. It says to turn it off and unplug it and contract a service center
JA: Anything else you want the camera expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

Unfortunately this B200 error indicates a hardware problem,
specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

In this case the matter of being used only a few times is actually the root of the problem. Inkjets cannot sit idle for any length of time, they must be used regularly and consistently, if they go more than about a week without use, they quickly dry out and clog up. Then when you try to print, the printhead overheats and is permanently damaged. The B200 error is specific to an overheated printhead.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.
Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 day ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.