MikeW
MikeW, Computer Engineer
Experience:  32+ years Computer and Networking Experience
9863586

What is a wps button which I am to hold down when I am

Customer Question

what is a wps button which I am to hold down when I am trying to start my fax on my canon printer.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its a new printer i just purchased.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Its a Canon MX922
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I just hooked it up and wanted to start the fax and the instruction said to hold the wps button down, but I dont know what button that is.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  MikeW replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you. WPS stands for Wi-Fi Protected Setup and it is a wireless networking standard that tries to make connections between a router and wireless devices faster and easier. Most routers have a WPS (or AOSS which is basically the same thing) button on them. It's usually a small button or sometimes it's the lite itself that can be pressed. If you can send me the model of your router I can tell you exactly where it's located.

That being said you don't have to use the WPS button to connect your printer to the wifi. You can use the printer control panel to use the Wireless Setup Wizard then put your network key (password) in.

Expert:  MikeW replied 1 month ago.

If you need any further help or have any further questions, please let me know. Otherwise if you can take a few seconds and use the rating system to rate our session as 4 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.