Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Error Code 0xE5, Yes I have, WF-4630, Epson told me I have

Customer Question

Error Code 0xE5
JA: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Yes I have, WF-4630
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Epson told me I have to take it to a technician, but no one has time for that Mac
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I moved and it hasn't worked since. I moved it myself so there was no damage though
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.
First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I just put in brand new cartridges which did not work either
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

Are these genuine epson cartridges, or generic/refilled ones?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Genuine
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I did what you said and no luck.
There is a banging noise before the error code and I don't see anything obstructing
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for confirming,

have you attempted the cleaning/reset steps yet, the full process?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
just did that
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

Okay if that happens even with a new one too, that means a bad printhead at this point.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** sucks
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 days ago.

You're welcome, and my apologies again.

It wouldn't hurt to check your warranty status though, they still sell this model, if you bought it less than 2 years ago, as long as you registered it initially, epson will usually double the coverage to a 2nd year for you.