John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Trying to get my MacBook Air with Sierra to connect to my

Customer Question

Trying to get my MacBook Air with Sierra to connect to my home network. My desktop iMac works fine with the printer. However, the laptop keeps coming up with a message that says the priter cannot be located on the network.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Canon MX22
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacBook Air with macOS Sierra 10.12
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I did a full, clean reinstall of Sierra. Since then I have not been able to get the computer to recognize the printer.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else right now, many thanks. I'll wait for the transfer
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, software, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Can you please double-check the model of the printer? Could it possibly be an MX 922?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do appreciate your offer to help but I have solved the problem. I tested connecting to my printer with and without my VPN. It was the firewall which is included with the VPN. I then went to the VPN's options and found a check box. that allows for transmission to the printer around the firewall.Working, at least so far. I'm sure you are a great tech so I will keep your contact info for when I move beyond my knowledge.Martin Robbins***@******.***