Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

The print head won't function correctly. It appears there is

Customer Question

The print head won't function correctly. It appears there is a plastic film over the printer ports . Does that need to be removed. This is a brand new printer and there was nothing to indicate that the plastic should be removed
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Pixima 100 Brand new.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac and I'm just trying to run the set up procedures.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I just opened the box set up the printer and followed the directions on the getting started page. The printer turns on, the head starts to go across and then won't stop in the middle so I can install the print head and ink cartridges. When I look down in side there appears to be plastic across the ink ports. It wasn't there on my old printer. Is it supossed to be there.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me, the first essential point to my advising you properly:

- Where exactly is the plastic film in question?

- And what color is the plastic film you mention?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's on the bar that the printer head rides on There are a series of holes in the bar that are covered by the plastic. The plastic is clear in color. I'm just trying to do the st up with the printer. The printer head starts across and then stops in a position that doesn't allow me to put the head and ink in.

That sounds very odd. And definitely not normally functional.

Regardless of whether the plastic film is supposed to be there... and I'm not really sure either way... it is quite sure, that the carriage in which the printhead and ink are carried to and fro across the paper, should stop where you can access it, if you are following the setup directions you have.

(You do have setup directions, right? sometimes, in rare cases, the sheet is left out of the printer package... which can lead to trouble.)

If the printer is this defective and malfuctioning at the very start, you should not keep it. Some less common individual printers are not good from the store. The thing to do is, to pack the printer up again in original packaging, and return it to the store promptly, with your sales slip in hand, asking for a return and exchange for another printer of equal or equivalent value and capabilities.

This should be done promptly, since the return/exchange period is often quite short - sometimes only a week to 10 days from purchase date, sometimes as long a 2 weeks, seldom longer. (See your sales slip, which should mention returns terms on the reverse side, usually.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.