Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My MG 7160 is telling me error 1403, says the type of print

Customer Question

my MG 7160 is telling me error 1403, says the type of print head is incorrect. should I just get a new printer?
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MG1760, is about 5 years
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: this happened yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't think of anything
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I signed up for $5 with paypal but you are asking me to sign up for more, I only wanted to ask 1 simple question. If I have to pay more for an answer obviously I need a new printer as to take it to a service centre would be more than that cost.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nathan, thank you for your response. I guess if you could tell me what to do to clean &v reset I shall try that, however I expect I shall need a new printer.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Absolutely, it's always worth a try, though I don't expect much either.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, and the printhead then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol (I believe you'd call these ear buds and surgical spirits/meths). Dry well, then reseat the head and cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nathan, I can't find the print head!
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

The head is the part that holds the ink cartridges,

next to or behind it should be a little lever (after the cartridges are out) that you can raise to remove it too.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nathan, I eventually got the print head out, I had already tried to do that last night. There was no little leaver , I managed to pull the whole ink receptacle forward & wiggle the print head. I cleaned it as described & couldn't get it back in. It is wedged in now & all I've managed to do is skin my knuckles, get ink all over my fingers & now all over the keyboard. I shall try again later to finish this task. If the print head wasn' t stuffed before it probably is now. Thank you for trying to get me on the right track. regards Sandra
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

You're very welcome, Sandra, and best of luck to you!

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2iDSGsO or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Nathan,
I was charged $32 on my paypal account for this conversation, which I didn't agree to.
Why would I pay $32 for you to agree that I would need to buy a new printer 99.9% of the time.
I did try to clean the print head which was unsatisfactory. As I certainly did not knowingly agree to pay anything but the $5 refundable fee just to speak , I believe this $32 should be refunded to my paypal account.
As for $ 32 per month that is crazy & I certainly hope I haven't been put down for that
Regards Sandra.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi Sandra,

there is no obligation to an ongoing subscription.

But you did agree to the total fee. That was shown on the payment page. You paid for my time and expertise to troubleshoot and diagnose the problem and give practical advice and recommendations. Had I simply said nothing but buy a new printer, I could understand, but you did continue to engage my time in going through the cleaning steps, recommendations, etc.

We are all licensed experts here, and we charge a fair price for service. 5$ is not the price, only the initial deposit, you agreed to the full amount on the payment page. Rationally you can’t expect highly trained and licensed service professionals to work for $5 or less.

--
Please note:
I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.
Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nathan,
I know you tried to help. However it was not very effective. I tried to get the print head out , but there was no lever I could find.
I managed by brute force to get it out & cleaned as instructed but could not get it properly seated back in. A most unsatisfactory exercise. I thought you were from Canon & providing customer service. I have had 4 canon printers. The whole website is deceptive that you are seen to be with Canon & I agree to pay what I am unaware of.
I am far from satisfied & not happy at all.
Sandra