John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I just bought a HP 6970 OfficeJet. I installed the printer

Customer Question

I just bought a HP 6970 OfficeJet. I installed the printer cartridges and get a message that says one or more of the cartridges are damaged.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I just purchased it 1/7/16 and it is a #6970 All In One Series
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MAC 10.10.5
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I'm trying to do the start-up. Once I close the cover the screen says "checking printer" Then is gives the message.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For a $5.00 fee I kind of feel like I should get a faster answer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Do you have the old cartridges with you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

OK, install the old cartridges and then, power off and on the printer, let me know if the error message changes or not?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, I just reinstalled the start-up cartridges. The message says one or more of the print cartridges are either missing or damaged.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** are getting the error message for the new and old cartridges, it means the problem is with the printhead of the printer. Now, remove the cartridges and then, clean the contacts on the printhead with a cotton swab and IP alcohol, until the contacts are completely clean, reseat the new cartridges and let me know, what happens?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm very frustrated. I'm taking the printer back to the store.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Taking the printer back to the store will not help, as the warranty period is over, please try the steps, which have suggested and suggest you later then, take decision, what you want to do?