Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Have LC203; have reloaded all ink cartridges but keep

Customer Question

have LC203; have reloaded all ink cartridges but keep getting notice "cannot detect" and "reload cartridges" I've done this half dozen times with same results
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: MFC-J4420DW Brother; usingbrother LC201BL and brother LC201CL color
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC and I've had this printer over a year and have changed cartridges at least once
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: not used it in couple of days but cannot think of anything I've done differently. last printing was a document - all black
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no = just want the thing to print
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
will peroxide or acetone work? I do not have any alcohol
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you have distilled water? That would be preferable, I would not use acetone.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have cleaned both but I cannot get t power source - it seems to go directly to computer and I cannot determine which is printer cable. this is not working/ Will have to get my tech guy from work come out and see about it - perhaps change printers (HP) as I've had this one for one year, changed cartridges before and now this. Pretty irritated with this.I would like my $5 deposit back and doNOT want to be charged for anything else. and I do NOT want a member ship to any online help source.thanks for your attempt
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for trying. I expect these steps will help, but if you are unable or unwilling to follow them on your own, that is a bit outside my control.

Please note:
I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.
Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help. To ask for a discount or refund similarly has the effect of forcing me to work for free for my time spent here helping you in good faith.