Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I have a MACBook Pro and a HP Officejet Pro Plus printer.

Customer Question

I have a MACBook Pro and a HP Officejet Pro Plus printer. (1)The screen on the printer says I am connected to wireless; however, the blue wireless light is not on. Note: I also have MAC Desktop that is connected to the same printer (not wireless). Isn't the wireless blue light on the printer supposed to be on . . . and if 'yes', how do I make that happen?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: could be 3-4 years old - when I look in the Utilities it only says it is the "HP Officejet Pro 8600"
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MAC OS Sierra v10.12.2
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This happened months ago . . . . I just didn't have the time to deal with it, so I email my documents from the MacPro to the Desktop and printed from the desktop. I have no idea what happened or why.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, when I go into the print function on the MacPro, often it will say the printer is idle, or "the printer - may not exist or is unavailable at this time".
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Please give me a few moments to review your problem, and I will get right back to you.

You cannot have your printer connected to your desktop with a usb cable and also to your wireless network. It has to be one or the other, not both. However, you can turn on print sharing on your desktop and access your printer from your laptop wirelessly. The only requirements for this to work are that both your laptop and your desktop are connected to your wireless network, and your desktop has to be powered on and in an active state. Your printer does not have to have a wireless connection because your desktop computer acts as a wireless print server.

The printer drivers must be reinstalled on your laptop under these conditions. I can help your with this.