Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert
30970729

Have XP-630, regular paper tray inserted. But when I send

Have XP-630, regular paper tray inserted. But when I send Word document to print, it defaults to 5x7 and only lets me select photo paper sizes. Why?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: XP-630 about a year old. Didn't do this to begin with. Have never printed 5x7 or any photo sizes on it.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC running Window 8 or 8.1
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Don't print to printer every day. It started happening a couple of months ago. Have just used workaround by saving document to PDF and then it will allow me to print to 8.5x11. Cannot print from Excel either; it defaults to 5x7
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Where are you setting the paper size - within Word, or within the printer settings?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In printer settings from Word or Excel. If I save the document to Adobe, I can go into the printer settings and select 8.5x11. From the other applications, it defaults to 5x7 and I can select other photo sizes like 4x6 and Other to select Letter, but it defaults back to 5x7 before printing and wants to shrink the document to fit that size!

Ok, try changing the paper size for all pages in Word and let me know if that helps:

1. On the Format menu, click Document.

2. Click Page Setup.

3. On the Paper Size pop-up menu, select a paper size.

4. Click OK.

5. On the Apply to pop-up menu, click Whole document, and then click OK.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried that but it didn't change the Print properties. When I select Page Size the dialog gives me these choices:
5x7
4x6
3.5 x 5
16.9 wide
A6
More Paper SizesWhen I select more paper sizes, those are the only choices unless I select Custom Size; When I select custom, I can add in 8.5 x 11 width and height, select apply to whole document and click OK. But as soon as I open print dialog, 5x7 is the default and cannot be changed!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am on PC, running Windows 8.1 and Word is 2013

Ok, have you tried installing the latest print driver from the Epson website?

http://www.driversepson.com/epson-xp-630-driver/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Installing drivers now

Ok, let me know if it works...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still installing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That appears to have solved the printer problem, for both Word and Excel. Thanks!

Great news!!
Have an excellent weekend :)
Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You, too, thanks

You are welcome :)
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)

Pete.

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.