John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My printer is not on my network. It has been. As I look up

Customer Question

My printer is not on my network. It has been. As I look up info...it seems that you cannot have the LAN active on both the wireless and the wired. My window says that it is active on both. I tried to disable the "wired" and cannot seem to do it. When I did a "manage the printer test" it says that the printer is not turned on...which it is?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: canon maxify 2320
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, I don't know the operating system
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I changed the ink, and I ran out of paper and had to add. I don't know exactly when it happened
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The printer itself, and this is quite common with many makes and models, cannot have both its network interface and its USB interface active at the same time.

The reason for this is simple: if the printer had two interfaces active simultaneously, then it would be subject to getting two print jobs at the same time from different sources. This could require additional circuitry, or else would mix up two different print jobs at once in the printer's memory. Using one interface at once, simplifies this sort of problem out of printing operations altogether.

The way to disable the wired (USB) interface is simple: unplug it from the USB cable.