Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My mg5320 finished one download printing. when I tried to

Customer Question

Hi, my mg5320 finished one download printing. when I tried to print the next one I got a fault read out that says, "UO52 the type of print head is incorrect. install correct print head." Why and what do I do ?
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Canon Pixma MG 5320 and is about 5 years old I think.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: It' a custom built PC running Windows 10 if you can call that an OS.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This issue happened about 3 hours ago, before dinner. Right before this event I finished printing out a PDF then downloaded the next one in line and hit 'print' then this.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not positive but I may have changed the small black ink cartridge just before I downloaded the PDF. I did change it but I'm not certain of the timing.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,