Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

It won't let me print because the yellow cartridge is

Customer Question

It won't let me print because the yellow cartridge is low...I only use black, why can't I print with a new black cartridge if I use black and white?
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: XP-231
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it was fine, then another day I turned it on and the power buttoin flashes and the ink is on
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: For now this is it thanks
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 13 days ago.

Unfortunately what you are wanting to do is simply not possible.

This is by design, and all inkjet printers work this way. Even though you only need to print black currently, all of the nozzles are used in normal operation of the printer, including in purging/cleaning operations. If you were to print with the yellow empty, those nozzles would dry out and clog up, leading to them overheating and permanently damaging the printer beyond repair. For that reason, it will not allow you to print with any of the inks empty, they must all be available at all times. You will have to replace that cartridge to print,even just in black.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.