Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a kodak hero 9.1, got it last month, Mac, like a

i have a kodak hero 9.1
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kodak is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: got it last month
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: like a month ago
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i get a message saying Printhead is missing, not installed correctly Code 3513

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Are you saying you just purchased the printer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i got it from amazon like 2 month ago
worked fine until now

Was it purchased as a used item?

I ask because this is a major hardware problem.

Unfortunately this symptom indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

I would be surprised if it were being sold (legitimately) as new anywhere since it is such an old model at this point.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. Even if new, this component wears just from sitting in a warehouse for years.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These Kodaks are widely regarded as some of the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that Kodak nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $60, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Of course if it truly was new, then you may have some warranty recourse through kodak, but I honestly wouldn't even expect them to honor it at this point based on the age and being out of production for so long. Your best option may be to take it up with amazon to see if you can still file an AtoZ claim with them (if it was sold new). If you bought it used, you can really only chalk this up to it being an old and worn out printer at this point.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm getting a message saying "Printhead loose, missing or not installed correctly. install printhead and ink cartridges. if already installed, remove ink cartridges and printhead, then reinstall. Press cancel to continue with non-printing operations. (Code 3513)

Yes I understand the message you are getting, I sent an explanation of that above.

In short, this is a defective printer that will need to be replaced. If it is truly a new printer, you can pursue that via the warranty or seller. If used, it is time to buy a new printer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I knew all that, i can do the cleaning part options myself. could you give me the steps please

Sure thing,

First remove all of the ink cartridges, and the printhead assembly then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back of the head, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the head and the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
did it but did not work. is there something else you would recommend. I actually had a printer that was older than this and change the printhead but it says the same thing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they use the same printhead so i switch them both. the older is working with the printhead of the new one. Could i maybe change the old logic board to the new printer?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

The head works in different models but if that didn't work then the board is faulty. That part is not interchangeable however and the part is not even available for purchase any longer, unless you got a used one off ebay perhaps. Again though based on the age I wouldn't consider it worthwhile, even if you fix this issue all the other parts of the printer like the absorber system will continue to fail in the short term.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/29wF4OP or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much sorry for the late reply. do you think i can sell the printer for part at least. What place do you recommend? also i got charged 38$ plus the 5 $ for some reason from this website so after this answer i will cancel

There is absolutely no value to the printer at this point, it is an old and obsolete model. You could try listing it on ebay for parts but I doubt anyone would want it.

The fee you were charged should have been around 23 total I believe (US$). You can contact customer service from the help page if the amount was incorrect, but it is definitely not just 5. We are all licensed experts here, and we charge a fair price for service. 5$ is not the price, only the initial deposit, you agreed to the full amount on the payment page. Rationally you can’t expect highly trained and licensed service professionals to work for $5 or less.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks will do

Thank you