Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have vertical banding when I make copies, WF 3540 Epson,

Customer Question

I have vertical banding when I make copies
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: WF 3540 Epson
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, not sure
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: A day. Again, it's only the copy function on the printer.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can it be fixed online.\?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If it prints A-OK, but photocopying has banding, the question to ask about fixing it is:

- does it exhibit bands on photocopies only when using the top sheet feeder or ADF?

- try making a photocopy with one page placed face-down on the glass sheet. If the banding is absent, you probably can fix the problem yourself; If the banding is still present on a copy made that way, you cannot fix the problem yourself and must take it to a service shop.

If banding is absent on a photocopy made without using the feeder, here's how to fix that (rather limited) problem:

Open the top of the printer, so that the glass sheet is showing. At the left, you should see a narrower strip of glass.

Take a fresh paper towel, and moisten it with warm water a little. Rub the narrower strip of glass to the left, firmly, many times over, with the moistened paper towel. Some black fleck or flakes should come off onto the paper towel. Then wipe clean and dry with dry paper towel, before the glass strip on the left dries.

Then try photocopying again.