Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Have an old apple laserwriter 12/640 ps, 1998, maybe, mac,

Customer Question

hi have an old apple laserwriter 12/640 ps
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: 1998, maybe
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: mac, osx 10.12.2
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: recent. i moved. am now on a new network - not the same as the one where i had it setup. i am now using a cable co router. i used my old router. telnet to old_printer_ip. stupidly set it to 0.0.0.0 thinking that it would use dhcp. forgot that it does not. now i can't communicate w/ the printer. i want to find a way to reset the printer to factory defaults.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that should do it. how much will this cost me?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

It does not look easy but this page has a few things to try

http://www.whoopis.com/howtos/laserwriter16-600/

As for the cost you already paid whatever it was for this question

I just ask that you please give me an excellent rating

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HI ROBERT, In the answer you provided, is part of the problem. The Apple Printer Utility requires an OS no newer than 10.5.x.
I am up to 10.12.2 & can not run any "Clasic" apps b/c they are no longer supported.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

about the only useful thing that i can find is that you might be able to telnet to the mac address

if you can get the original manual it seems that it came with 0.0.0.0 as the default ip so there should be some way to do it. but as you surmised you might have to find an old old mac in a museum somewhere to do it.

I am off for the night. so i am going to opt out and if nobody else picks up i will look into it more with you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tomorrow is good, thanks. Good Tomorrow is good, thanks. Good night
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

OK post in tomorrow

I should be around starting around noon cst

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Robert. Are you in today?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

i kind of just got in

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Robert. Any further suggestions?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

That you could buy another one for under 100?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-LaserWriter-4-600-PS-Printer-M2179-/122287823650?hash=item1c78ec1b22:g:b48AAOSwt5hYY-Lb

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

They actually came new with the IP set to 0.0.0.0. So it shouldn't be a game stopper. The easiest solution would be to see if you could find an old Mac that could run the software to set it up

You might find one cheap on Craigslist

Otherwise supposedly you can telnet in based on the Mac address. Maybe with a reversed Ethernet cable. I am temporarily unable to remember what they are called. Been awhile since I saw one

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried to telnet in to it by mac address. No joy. I'm contacting someone nearby who might have an older mac, but he won't be back for a few days. Fill you in on what develops.BTW: the command I used (while using a cross-over ethernet cable) was telnet 08:00:0724:3b:84. It couldn't find it. :(
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

i think that unless you enjoy playing around with this stuff, waiting on the old mac is going to be the most productive way to fix this.