Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Changed all ink cart in my epson 320 xp with oem

Customer Question

changed all ink cart in my epson 320 xp with oem replacements now screen reads ink cartridges not recognized check them and they all seem in. whats my problem Marvin
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: less than a year epson expression home xp-320 marvin
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: its a pc laptop wireless
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: showed the black ink cart need to be replaced and led screen read ink cartridges not recognized , so i replaced all the ink cartridges and led screen still reads the same
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just a farmer not real computer savy, but will try
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Are you using genuine epson inks, or generic/refilled cartridges?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i said i was using oem's which sure is epson
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for confirming, sorry part of your initial question was cut off, I see it now.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
led still reads ink cartridges not recognized
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

When you are changing them, are you just lifting the lid and pulling the cartridges, or are you using the menu to start?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just lifting the lid , can't get the NOT RECOGNIZED MESSAGE TO LEAVE LED SCREEN
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

That is the problem then, you are not following the proper procedures.

These epson printers are very picky about the replacement process. Replacing the cartridges via any other method can actually cause permanent damage to the printhead.

This is not an automatic process as on some other printers, some menu steps are required prior to physical replacement:
Press the home (house icon) button and select Setup (wrench icon) > Maintenance > Ink Cartridge Replacement.

Lift up the scanner unit (below the glass)

Open the cartridge cover

Squeeze the tab on the cartridge and lift the cartridge straight up to remove it.

Gently shake the new cartridge four or five times, then remove the cartridge from the package, removing the yellow tape.

Insert the new cartridge into the holder and push it down until it clicks into place.

Close the cartridge cover and push it down until it clicks into place.

Select Check on the LCD screen to make sure the cartridge or cartridges are installed correctly.

Close the scanner unit.

If the problem still persists after this, then you damaged the printer when you replaced them improperly before.

There is no quick or simple fix for that, but since it is less than a year old your best bet is to call (800)(###) ###-####/u> to file a warranty claim and ask them to replace it for you.

Though they wouldn't be obligated to cover physical/user damage, they will usually still help you out.

Best of luck to you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I used the correct procedure to originally change the cartridges according to the instructions and the message came up on the led screen and has not changed other than to read replace cartridges and i do that according to directions and when i press the start button the not recognized message comes on. This morning I went a bought all new cartridges for it a replaced the cost 56.00 and now I pay to be told I don't know what I'm doing , well this is the third epson printer in 4 years and it will go the same way as the others to the garbage man, and never again will i buy another Epson Marvin
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing Sir, I was responding to your specific reply that you only lifted the lid.

Whether you followed the process or not at this point if they are oem cartridges and not recognized it is a printer fault and the next step either way would be to file a warranty claim and they should replace it for you.

My apologies again for the news.