Ok, thank you for clarifying.
Let's continue with our problem determination. There are quite a few steps that need to be performed to resolve carriage errors.
We will check to see that the carriage moves freely.
1. Make sure the printer is on.
2. Open the cartridge access door.
3. Allow carriage to move into the access area.
4. Turn to the back of the printer.
5. Disconnect the power cord from the printer.
6. Return to the front of the printer.
7. Check for obstructions around the cartridge that could impede cartridge movement. Use a flashlight to check thoroughly. Remove any obstructions you find. Check the rollers and wheels for any torn pieces of paper.
8. Manually move the carriage from the left to right side, and make sure the movement is smooth, and there are no binds that can cause carriage to stick anywhere along the complete length.
9. If there are any paper or other objects found that could cause movement problems of the carriage, remove them.
10. As you move the carriage to the right of the printer, check that the cartridges are not contacting the printer cover. There should be a gap between the cartridges and the cover.
11. If the cartridges hit the cover, then one or more of them may not be seated all the way. Re-install any that are not.
12. If the carriage moves freely from the left to the right of the printer without obstructions, close the carriage access door.
13. Turn to the back of the printer.
14. Reconnect the power cord, and USB cable of applicable.
15. Return tot he front of the printer.
16. Press the power button if printer does not auto power on.
17. Try printing a test page directly from the printer to see if the problem is resolved. Go to the control panel, and press the settings icon (small wrench)
18. Press the tools icon.
19. Press printer status report.
20. If the printer prints the test page correctly, the issue is resolved.
If not, let's continue.
We will check to see if we have any obstructions in the printer that might be blocking the carriage path causing a jam.
1. Turn off the printer power
2. Turn the printer to the back.
3. Remove the power cord from the printer.
4. Remove the USB cable if attached.
5. Turn printer back to the front.
6. Remove the output tray.
7. Slide out the input tray.
8. Remove any paper from the input tray. If there is any jammed paper in the tray, remove it by pulling gently and evenly to avoid tearing.
9. Slide out the photo tray.
10. Use a flashlight to check for torn pieces of paper that may remain inside the printer.
11. Slide in the input tray.
12. Open the cartridge access door.
13. Check the cartridge access area for jammed paper. Remove if you find any.
14. Use a flashlight to search for any small scraps of paper.
15. Locate the cleanout door handle near the back of the printer.
16. Grasp the handle and pull the cleanout door up and out to remove it from the printer.
17. Check the cleanout area for jammed paper. Remove any paper you find. Check for any small pieces of paper in the area. Use a flashlight in your search.
18. Locate the cutout in the duplexer cover. Use it to raise the cover, and check for any jammed or torn pieces of paper from the area. Check for small pieces of paper also using a flashlight.
19. Lower the duplexer cover.
20. Put the cleanout door back into the printer, and gently push on it until it snaps into place.
21. Close the cartridge access door.
22. Turn to the back of the printer.
23. Reconnect the power cord, and USB cable if applicable.
24. Turn to the front of the printer.
25. Printer should turn on automatically. If not, press the power button.
26. Slide out the input tray.
27. Load paper back into input tray.
28. Slide input tray back into the printer.
29. Reinsert the output tray
30. Try printing a test page directly from the printer to see if the problem is resolved. Go to the control panel, and press the settings icon (small wrench)
31. Press the tools icon.
32. Press printer status report.
33. If the printer prints the test page correctly, the issue is resolved.
That should about cover any obstruction issues that could cause a Carriage check message.
Please let me know if these steps fix your problem.