Alex Lako
Alex Lako, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  IBM - Country Support Specialist
96848705

I have an old Panasonic KX-1124 24 Pin Multi Mode tractor

Customer Question

I have an old Panasonic KX-1124 24 Pin Multi Mode tractor feed printer, the black strike strip has deteriorated and pieces have fallen into the work area. Now the print head will not return to left side.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Panasonic XP1124 24 pin Tractor feed printer, approx. 20 years or more
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: For a week I noticed the right side printing was smeared
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it reparable or is their another one comparable that has separate drivers as the computer is not connected to the internet
Category: Printers
Expert:  Alex Lako replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would like to answer your question regarding your printer problems. You have a true work horse of a printer the Panasonic XP1124. However with age, you have started seeing the physical stresses of years of printing. Pieces falling into the print area has caused print quality and mechanical issues.

You have several choices to address your printer proiblem.

1. Have the printer serviced. This could be costly with parts and labour costs. You could be looking at $200+ in repair costs depending on the extent of the damage.

2. Check eBay. There are a couple of listings for your printer at the moment. For roughly $100, you can get a re-furbished XP1124. All you would need to do then is to unplug your printer, and plug in the new one. No changes required for drivers.

3. Purchase a new dot-matrix printer. I performed a quick search on Google for new dot-matrix printers, and there are Dot-Matrix printers still available from printer vendors such as Epson, Fujitsu, OKI, Lexmark etc. The newer printers start in the $400-500 range. The newer printer would require you to install new drivers, but those are usually included on a CD/DVD disk that comes with the printer.

So, the choice is up to you. I hope I was able to give you enough information to make an informed decision.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Otherwise, please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen, and then submit.