John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

When I go to print something,I am asked to do a "cartridge

Customer Question

When I go to print something,I am asked to do a "cartridge alignment".I'm told to click on the D/top icon for the printer.However when I do that,all that comes up are "what's printing","customize your printer" & 'set preferences",none of which lead me to "maintenance tasks",etc.I can't find a Printers folder in My Start menu. My printer is a Deskjet 2050 All-in-One J510 series. Can you help me? Thanks!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Deskjet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2 years old? That's all the booklet tells me! It uses HP 61 cartridges.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 7 Premium.It was printing ok until the other day
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: As I hadn't used it for a while,I printed out a document & although it printed OK,it wasn't that clear,so I took out the black one & gave it a good shake,in case the ink had become a little 'gluggy'.The c/ridge is almost brand new,so it was a full one unlike the others in the printer when purchased!
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  PC_Wizzard replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble.

Please try the following

1. Open the HP product software:

NOTE:

You can also open the HP product software from your computer desktop: double-click the icon for your HP product

The product software opens.

2.  

• Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click the Windows icon, click All Programs, click HP, click the folder for your HP product, and then click the icon for your HP product.

3. In the product software, double-click Printer Actions.

4. Double-click Maintenance Tasks. The HP Toolbox opens.

5. Click Align Ink Cartridges, and then follow the on-screen instructions to print the alignment page.

6. Lift the scanner lid.

7. Place the alignment page with the printed side down on the right-front corner of the scanner glass. See the engraved guide next to the scanner glass for help loading the alignment page.