Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

It's my IR3235i copier. I've had it running as a copier

Customer Question

It's my IR3235i copier. I've had it running as a copier through its ethernet connection. 2 days ago I swapped out my modem and router for a Cisco gateway. my computer stopped "seeing" it. When I try to print I get a "not responding" message, followed by a "could not get device information" warning. The driver appears intact. The copier still works fine AS a copier.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: As I said, an Image Runner IR3235i.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: As I already explained, 2 days ago I swapped out my home network router and modem for a Cisco gateway (Model DPC3941T).
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: After I get the "could not get device information" warning", I get a message "could not initialize output device". The copier/printer is configured to require a Dept. ID number.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

After replacing your modem and router with a gateway, you need to remove your print server icon, uninstall your printer software, restart your computer, and download and install the latest complete printer drivers from the official manufacturer's website. This must be done on each computer on your printer network. I can show you how to do this in detail. Please let me know when you are ready to continue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I followed your instructions. I can now print to the copier. However, the copier has a scan function that allows me to scan a document at the copier and send it to an email or local network address. That function used to work, but now still does not work yet. It scans, then tries unsuccessfully to send the result, and prints out a report saying "TX INCOMPLETE".
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You have not yet replied to my second message above. To repeat:I followed your instructions. I can now print to the copier. However, the copier has a scan function that allows me to scan a document at the copier and send it to an email or local network address. That function used to work, but now still does not work yet. It scans, then tries unsuccessfully to send the result, and prints out a report saying "TX INCOMPLETE".So, what must I do to enable the machine to send scans?

I apologize for the delay; I have not been online for the last two days. Did you use the Control Panel > Programs to Uninstall A Program, before you downloaded and installed the new printer drivers? If you do not do this carefully and correctly, your computer can find the old drivers on your hard drive and install them with their flaws. It is best to follow my detailed step-by-step instructions interactively.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is nothing in Control Panel > Programs that relates to uninstalling printer drivers.

Go to Control Panel > Programs and select Uninstall A Program. Then you need to remove all programs for the Canon IR3235i Copier before downloading and installing the correct drivers for your machine from the Canon website.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only thing in Control Panel > Programs is a PCL Printer Driver Uninstaller that was added on 1/3/2017 as a result of my following your instructions and installing the latest driver.

I am glad that your printer is working now. I assume that you have downloaded and installed the PCL6 printer drivers.

Please use this link to the Canon Europe website to download and install the scanner drivers, which are the first download selection on this webpage.

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/products/imagerunner/ir3235.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=Windows 7 (64-bit)

Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The scanner driver is not the problem. The unit scans. It won't "send" to an address in the address book. I think it's a problem with the IR3235i not being configured properly to my home network.

I understand now that your problem is not with the scanner, but rather wit sending the scan to someone in your email address book. I believe the problem is with configuring your printer/scanner software with your own email address as the sender. Please open the IR3235i software on your computer and go to the scan-to-email wizard or the scan-to-email section or category where you can reconfigure the outgoing email address. Since there is a problem with your outgoing email address, I suggest removing it and adding it again as a new outgoing email address. You will be prompted to provide your valid email password. You may need to login to your email account separately from this procedure to validate that you are using the correct password. Your printer software will let you know when your outgoing email address has been accepted. It may also provide an authentication test.