Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Trouble with the printer accepting a new ink cartridge-

Customer Question

trouble with the printer accepting a new ink cartridge-
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: epson xp-830
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: the ink cartridge is 410
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: mac
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I install a new ink cartridge the printer reports cartridge "not installed correctly", then when I replace the ink cartridge with the one it came with the printer works ok.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Can you tell me the process/steps you are taking to install it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I followed the directions located on the printer
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am sending a photo of instructions
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** wanted be sure you were following the right steps, which you are

But are you using genuine epson cartridges, or generic/refilled ones?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sending pic of box
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nathan- I am disappointed that I have been charged another $18.00 when I was initailly told the cost would be $4.99.
Alss still do not have an answer to my problem....
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the info, and my apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

To be clear, the fee was never only $5.

We are all licensed experts here, and we charge a fair price for service. 5$ is not the price, only the initial deposit, you agreed to the full amount on the payment page. Rationally you can’t expect highly trained and licensed service professionals to work for $5 or less.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is the very first time a cartridge has been changed.
Typically - is there anything that needs to be removed from the cartridge besides the plastic cap?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just figured it out-
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

There is the plastic cap and sometimes a piece of tape as well.

Is it recognizing the cartridges now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Great, I'm glad that did the trick for you. I assume it is operating and printing properly now. But if you need further guidance I'm happy to help.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
One of the cartridges is not working- when I installed new one Just does read it as new ��
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Take it out, give it a good shake, and repeat the above processes on that cartridge.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cartridge does not show full
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

But it is still recognized and will let you print?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess just keep using
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

It may take several prints before it returns to normal.

As long as it recognizes the cartridge, it is nothing to worry about. If it won't that is a deeper printhead problem that would require repair/replacement. I would just keep using it as-is.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok .
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** luck! If the issue comes back feel free to get in touch.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks !
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

My pleasure.