Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Photos have too much ink and are just blobs. I have the

Customer Question

Photos have too much ink and are just blobs. I have the correct paper setting and replaced all the ink.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: XP620 about 1 year old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacBook Pro - less than 1 yr old
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I was printing some photos from a vacation. The first one printed correctly but the others (printed individually, not a group) are just blobs.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm using hp 4 x 6 soft gloss paper and Epson ink (#273). I've cleaned the printer nozzle heads and checked print head alignment.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com; I am Russell H., an Expert here at JustAnswer.com, and I will do what I can to answer your question as well as it can be answered.

Did you install the drivers for the printer from the CD disc that came with it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't recall that a CD came with the printer, but I guess the answer is no. It has been printing fine although I haven't printed very many photos.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you have any other suggestions?

Then you may have to install drivers proper for the printer, to get the capability to adjust the ink down from 'blobs'.

This sounds like a familiar problem to me: some Epson printers need adjustments in the software or driver settings, to compensate.

Are you using Epson OEM-original ink cartridges, as opposed to 'Epson compatible' or refill, remanufactured, etc. cartridges?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am using Epson original ink.

Good. One last detail please, before I give you instructions on what to do about the problem:

What Windows version is on your computer, please?

Or if Apple, what MAC OS X 10.x version #, please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

OK, I am preparing instructions on the basis of that information.

1. turn Off the printer, and then unplug it from the power.

2. go to the Printers list, and select each instance there of your Epson XP620, then remove it with the - button.

3. restart the computer. (You can come back to this case after reinstalling, at

http://www.justanswer.com/printers/a4fyi-photos-ink-just-blobs.html )

4. then go to

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/XP-Series/Epson-XP-620/s/SPT_C11CE01201?review-filter=Mac+OS+X+10.11.x

and download the Drivers and Utilities Combo Package, then once it is downloaded, install it, by double-clicking on the DMG file (if it doesn't automatically start the installer program.)

Then you may go to the Driver settings for the printer, and then you may look for the setting for 'Drying Time' or 'Ink Drying Time', and set it to a shorter or lower value. That should curtail the ink blob tendency.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

(If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.)

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, but that did not fix the problem. Photos still have blobs and are fuzzy,

Find the setting for

Drying Time

and turn it down to a minimum, very short drying time.

See if that helps. If it does not at least reduce the photos to imperfectly printed but without excessive ink or runniness of ink, despite the settings change, then you probably have a severe defect in the inking system in the printer, which would obviously require either service-repairing of the printer, or its replacement.

How old is the printer? if it comes to the driver replacement and the Drying Time setting not helping.