John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I am getting the message that that print cartridges can't

Customer Question

I am getting the message that that print cartridges can't move. I told me to look for a paper jam (which I didn't find) and then said to turn the printer off.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a HP Officejet 6700 Premium. The serial # is CN38CC5GK7. I think it's two years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have an IPAD and a Presario Notebook.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Yesterday I was air printing from my IPAD and the printer started to make a horrible noise.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I don't think so. I have an insurance policy on it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Often, there can be a paper jam that you just don't see.

Open the back panel and use a flash light to see if any paper is stuck around the rollers. If so, unwind it SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY so that you don't tear it in pieces and compound your problems.

After that, the printer SHOULD reset gracefully.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot find a paper jam. The cartridges move about a third of the way and then stop.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks. I don't see how you could fix a paper jam remotely. I already paid HP for an insurance policy and I don't really understand how I am now talking to and being asked to pay someone else. It would probably be cheaper to just buy a new printer?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you still there?