Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

This HP Color Laserjet 2550n is only printing a little

Customer Question

This HP Color Laserjet 2550n is only printing a little yellow. It will print the HP JetDirect Configuration page, but nothing else.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LaserJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about 10 years old, model # J7957A
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This has been an issue for many weeks now. I thought it was the HP aftermarket toner (yellow and blue) cartridges so I installed HP ones. Same problem except it doesn't make the strained sound.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think the carousel may have been off or damaged by the after market cartridges. I tried to calibrate it.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

The print head might need to be cleaned or replaced.

im pulling the technical manual now.

Please tell me, if you have ever done a print head cleaning in the past?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No print head cleaning done. Btw, do you think after market toner cartridges are ok?

Absolutely NOT!

only ever use the BRANDED ink cartridges that are the same brand as your printer.

So you need to be using HP ink cartridges.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have put back all HP toner cartridges.

well, thats good, but damage might already be done.

considering the printers age.....you cant get repair support.

They wont fix a 10 year old printer.

Have you put NEW ink cartridges in? or just the old ones?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have put new cartridges in that it asked for—all up to date. That's why I'm giving this one last shot.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If it printed the JetDirect Configuration page then it can print...

Alrighty.

and the prints come out HOW?

doe sit print in black?

does it print in color? or only the yellow cvolor as you mentioned?

okay that means the black is workign and the printer is functioning.

But when you try to print from a computer, or just try to make a copy using the printer directly.....what happens?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That configuration page is black and white, but other black and white printing documents don't print. And color comes out just splotches of yellow.

So, the config page will print just fine......but if you try to print form the computer just a regular B/W document.....its prints nothign......does it cycle the paper, and just not print to the paper, or does the printer not even cycle the paper?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the printer cycles the paper normally. And now that the aftermarket cartridges were replaced it doesn't make the strained sound.

So it was making a strained noise, due to the off-brand(aftermarket) ink cartridges....and now that you have placed the branded HP ink carts back in.....no more noise......thats really REALLY not good.

.

But, let me grab the manual, and do a print head cleaning.

one moment.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Configuration page is fine. B/W document is blank...I meant no more weird noise since back with HP cartridges, just typical noise...this is one noisy printer!

yeah i understand what you meant.....the off brand caused wierd noise to occur......with the correct ink carts, the wierd noise is gone.

im looking through the manual

the only thign i foudn that you can clean is the Engine.

Not all printers have a printhead......ink jets mostly....not laserjets

see the image link

if you have splotches of ink on the page......then cleaning the engine is the resolution to try.

Also, how is this printer connected to the Mac? over the network, or over USB?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
USB
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't find toolbox anywhere. This is a new iMac with El Capitain, maybe not in driver I found.

Well i mean here is the User Guide. Chapter 7, is where your issue shoudl appear....but....i dont see it. So......i woudl try to REinstall the printer software and drivers on the Mac.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=388394&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c00189910

I believe the HP toolbox is the software that goes WITH the printer, that allows you to manage the printer, and check ink levels.

DId you install the software on the Mac?

YOu can get the software from here.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=388401&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=219

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already did that when I just got this new iMac with El Capitain. I've looked all over HP but it doesn't seem like they have anything beyond what I have and it doesn't contain toolbox software or a way to clean the engine.

Its just too hard to say whether the offbrand cartridges caused any kind of permanent damage to the printer head, or not.

I have given you all the information that is available publically.

im not sure what else to tell you. But, REinstall the printer software again.

.

\Please take a moment to rate at the top of the page.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What I found out is that I need to find the original CD-Rom or see if one of my old computers is still running the full HP toolbox, which can clean the engine and is not available online. HP is really at fault for not providing this in their updates.