Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I get a message Printer error, turn off and on... still

Customer Question

I get a message Printer error, turn off and on... still persists
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Pixma MG5320 maybe 2012
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Surface pro, windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have never connected to this pc before... haven't used the printer at all in over a year. Blue light blinks on printer and then error pops up
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have the printer hooked up directly via USB, but would like it to work wireless
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me the specific error code/number on the printer display? For example B200, C000, etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
C000
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

My apologies, I had sent a reply earlier but it looks like it didn't go through.

Resending:

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.
Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.
Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.