Bob James
Bob James, IT Support Specialist
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certification & Network Support Certificate @ University of Phoenix
96807910

My computer is connected to the printer MFC-7860DW for

Customer Question

My computer is connected to the printer MFC-7860DW for printing, but when I try to scan something it says it is not connected.
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Brother MFC-7860DW, about3-4 years.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OSX El capitan
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: About a week. Nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bob James replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help.

Please Note: You may be offered a "Premium Service / Remote Assist", it is automatic once we respond. Please feel free to disregard it, we can revisit that option if it becomes necessary.

For the MFC-7860DW not scanning:
Do I understand correctly, scanning from the printer/scanner was working up to about a week ago?

Thanks,
Bob

For the MFC-7860DW not scanning:

Thanks,
Bob

Do you still need assistance with this?

Thanks,

Bob

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it was. It is connected to the computer thu th wifi server which allows it to print from that computer but does not allow scanning.

You say "does not allow scanning", do you get an error message?

Or is the "scanning" functionality just gone?

My night is at an end, I will leave you with this and follow up tomorrow.

It is possible the scanner driver has somehow either been removed or has gotten corrupt, so I would suggest an uninstall and reinstall of the drivers (both printer and scanner). Go into your System Preferences, then Printers and Scanners, and remove any instance of Brother MFC-7860DW. Then try the reinstall two ways:

1. Simply click the "Add" button (+ sign on the lower-left of screen) and allow it to 'find' the printer/scanner.
- Once it's installed, give it a try. (If it works, stop here. If it still doesn't work, please continue to item 2.)

2. If the printer/scanner did install with item 1 [above], but still did not work for scanning -->
--> please remove any instance of Brother MFC-7860 again.
Download and Install from the official "Brother" driver download site, here's a link:
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc7860dw_all&os=10018

- Once it's installed, give it a try.

I do hope this works, as we are only credited for "Accepted" answers and positive ratings - so I do hope you'll consider a 5 Star rating for this advice. If the problem continues, please let me know and I'll follow up tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bob

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bob, I have tried both remedy and neither allows me to initiate a scan from the printer keyboard. What I get is an appearance of the Brother Centre logo, which does not go away easily, and a message saying "Failed to connect to the device (MTW005)" etc.However I have discover d that I can initiate a scan from my computer through the System preferences. I did not try this earlier and so it may have always worked, and downloading new drivers has made no difference. So this is a solution, but do you have any other suggestions for reinstating the capacity from the printer itself?CheersBruce

Well, this case was opened because scanning was not working from the computer, unless I completely misunderstood what was being said. And I think scanning from the computer has been discovered as a result of my advice to go into System Preferences, then to "Printers and Scanners" - so it seems I at least help to this solution.

As for scanning from the printer itself, this is a very different situation now. Have you tried from the automatic document feeder (ADF) and by placing the document or photo directly on the glass?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Bob I don't think that i ever said that it was from the computer rather than the printer that was the problem. yes I have tried both those. I get the response outlined in my previous comments.cheersBruce
I did misunderstand, I apologize. In the original request, where you said it is connected to the computer, but it will not scan (paraphrasing), it is easy to think that you were talking about from the computer, so again I apologize. Also, the most recent statement, "Failed to connect to the device (MTW005)", is very odd also, because that is the device telling you that it cannot connect to itself. Or am I still miss understanding?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know what it means mate. I was hoping you could tell me.

OK, let's start from scratch, in a way I suppose.

I think I helped in your discovery of scanning from the "Printers and Scanners" dialogue, so I think I deserve credit for that.

However, you can't scan from the scanner itself - even if there was not a computer involved at all, please confirm this?

When you attempt to scan from the scanner, no computer involved at all, the scanner says "Failed to connect to the device MTW005" - could you also confirm this?

If there is no computer involved, then what "device" is it failing to connect to?

Logic tells me that it's trying to connect to the computer - so we're back to the computer.

Does that make sense?

Because "scanning" from the printer ... to what?

If you're simply trying to "scan" to another piece of media (paper, photo stock, etc...) in the printer, well that's "copying" not "scanning".

Am I making any sense at all?

So, now we're back to scanning to the computer, because you wouldn't scan to another piece of paper. Scanning is to get a digital image of something, and the digital image must be saved somewhere, usually a computer.

Do you now see why it wasn't really a misunderstanding on my part at all?

And now you can scan to the computer, through the "Printers and Scanners" dialogue, so you are able to scan.

I really don't think there is an issue, unless I am somehow still missing something?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Right let me also start from the beginning. My printer sits next to my computer and is connected to it through my wireless router. In the past when I wanted to scan something, I put it on the platen or in the loader and pressed the scan button, followed by the instructions for scanning to image, and it would scan to the computer. Last week it stopped doing this and gave that message instead including the error number I listed.I then approached this organisation and you were nominated to help me. So far you have done so by getting me to reload the drivers, which I have done but without solving that problem. While I was doing that I discovered that I could initiate a scan from the computer through system preferences. I guess you could claim to have helped me find that, but I would be more pleased if you could help me with the original problem. .

We're on the same page now. Please allow me to look at this later today, and I will let you know what I find.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What's happening Bob?

I'm sorry, we've had some unexpected situations - I haven't logged on here for a few days. Please accept my sincere apologies as I respectfully opt-out.