Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Photosmart 7520. I just tried to change the main

Customer Question

I have a Photosmart 7520. I just tried to change the main printer cartridge with a newly purchased 564 XL. I got an error message: "The printhead asspears to be missing, not detercted, or incorrectly installed." I may have incorrectly installed it the first time, but I re-installed it and still got the error message. So I re-installed the old 564 cartridge; still got the error message. Re-installed the new XL; still error message. So I installed the new XL in a different HP printer, and it worked fine. I took the old 564 XL from the old printer and installed it in mine; still got the error message. So my printer now won't work. Please help!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello James,

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,