Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a message on my Epson Artisan that says: Printer pads

Customer Question

I have a message on my Epson Artisan that says: Printer pads are at the end of their service life.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I have had this printer for several years. It is an Artisan
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC. How do I look up my OS?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This just started today. My printer is locked up and showing the error message
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bob James replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help.
Please give me just a bit to look over the question and do some initial research.
Thanks,
Bob

Expert:  Bob James replied 8 days ago.

Please Note:

After my 2nd response, an automatic "Premium Service" offer will be made. Please disregard it, as it will not help in this case.

Please also accept my apologies for taking some time in answering. It seems this issue is not "simple", but it is "easy enough". The ink waste pads are real items in the printer, but they may or may not actually be full, so it becomes a bit tricky. If they are not actually full, you might be able to reset the counter to "0" and printing functionality is restored. If they are actually full, then it is very important to replace them.

So, how do you know for sure if they are actually full?

The "official" Epson answer would be, the error message tells you they're full, so the pads must be replaced by a certified Epson technician.

I think it best at this point to provide a couple of links so you can take a closer look, and make a decision as to how you want to proceed:

1. This link explains how to get to the waste pads and replace them:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-ink-pad-on-an-epson

2. This link explains the issue again, but also provides a software tool that can be used to reset the counter:

http://www.wic.support/

I do hope you find this information useful and satisfactory as an answer.

Thank you,

Bob

Expert:  Bob James replied 8 days ago.

Please Note:

On my 2nd response, an automatic "Premium Service" offer will be made. Please feel disregard it, as it will not help in this case.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. I am only credited when my answer is accepted and rated positively, so I hope I've provided enough information for you to understand the issue and choose the solution that you are most comfortable with.

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Bob James replied 6 days ago.

I hope the information I provided helped. Please let me know if I can help further.

Thanks,

Bob

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I bought a new printer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 days ago.

changing the pads is a pretty big pain in most home printers.

But if it works the reset command is often all you have to do.

the warning goes by page count not any check of the actual pads. For the average user they tend to dry out as fast as they fill and don't really need to be replaced.