Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My HP 4620 won't print in color, HP 4620, PC windows 10 pro

Customer Question

my HP 4620 won't print in color
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: HP 4620
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC windows 10 pro 64 bit
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: since I put in print cartridges today
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
did you get my questions?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is the problem that the print comes out in grayscale, like a black-and-white photo of something colored?

Or is the problem that colored ink doesn't appear to be getting onto the paper at all under any circumstances?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no color ink at all just back and white
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
any ideals
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no need to connect
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello you still there

I am here...

What color ink levels are shown, on an Ink Levels check?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I said I just put new color ink cartridges in this morning they are new it its shows full

OK, good.

Were those new cartridges put in because of the same problem showing up before they were replaced?

Has the printer had a period of disuse or storage lately?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no the old ones were empty

OK.

Then the nozzles may have dried up, that color ink goes through.

Try this procedure - patiently, for it will take several hours at least - to get the color ink flowing again:

In outline:

1. Clean the (color) printhead.

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether color ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that the info and instructions I provided were helpful.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer. - A five-star rating would be appreciated!

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.)

Thanks.