John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

It won't turn on. This is a printer, not a TV. It is a

Customer Question

It won't turn on.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: This is a printer, not a TV. It is a Brother MFC-L885CDW and this has never happened before.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This has been an issue for about a week. My husband tried to get the printer to print from his computer by hooking up a direct line to the printer. The next time I tried to use it, it wouldn't even turn on.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 10 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Make sure the printer is not connected by usb for now.

Unplug printer, hold down power button for 1 full minute.

Leave it unplugged for another 9 minutes. Plug it back into the wall/strip after power

has been removed completely and try to turn the printer back on and reply with results.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

This did not work

Are all the lights still out and nothing on the printer come on at all?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Yes it's totally dark. no response when I press power button

We need to rule out hardware failure.

Try the following:

1. Unplug the printer.

2. Remove the paper tray.

3. Press and hold the Power button.

4. While still holding the Power button plug in the power cord

5. Wait for it to start, when normal home screen displayed release the power button.

6. There should be a message to replace the tray.

Tell me if it is still 'dark' and not powering on.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Still no power

How old is the printer? It needs hands on servicing at this point and a warranty helps.

An electrical meter can be used to confirm operation of an AC adapter and conductivity of the low voltage wires. A common problem is a break in the wires at the plug.

Check all the cables and push them firmly into the printer. (take the power cord out if it is detachable and put it back

in if this applies to your printer)

Plug something else into the same wall/strip socket you are using to confirm power.

The cords could be fried from power surge, frayed wires etc.

Check all the cables that power the printer one more time for me and leave a reply. Those steps should

have worked to restart the printer. Try this with another outlet one more time for me to confirm.

Also, check the device that you are using to print from normally to see if the printer shows offline, cannot find printer etc.

by going into your device manager to look.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

The printer is 2 years old. it shows offline in my device manager. I have checked all the wires and tried from 2 different outlets. what is the next step?

If it is not coming on it is most likely either a back power cord that needs replaced or it has to

be serviced manually to check the hardware by a tech in your area.

Those commands should have brought at least a power screen on, or made noise as if it is starting

if it is not connected to your computer.