Elgin14
Elgin14,
96816985

Help! I have a Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw, and today I

Customer Question

help! I have a Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw, and today I pulled out the paper drawer, added paper, and now the drawer won't go all the way back in! Ridiculous! It always has before. Double ridiculous - it still picks up the paper and prints as if everything is fine!
Well it is NOT fine, I want the drawer to go back in that last few inches. What on earth???
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that this problem might be owing to something on the paper tray not being in the usual position. So I advise taking it out again, looking it over skeptically, for something that might be out of place, and then correcting whatever is found. Also look into the printer for anything obviously wrong there: a piece loose, a part out of place or protruding into the area where the paper tray should go, etc.

Also, did you remove the tray while the power was Off on the printer? or put it back in when the power was Off? that might have added a problem to the setup.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
BTDT. Nothing out of place, drawer has (by this time) been removed and replaced NUMEROUS times. Nothing protruding, nothing out of place that I can recognize. The printer remained on throughout - and as I said, the darned thing is happy as a clam and picks up paper and prints as usual even with the drawer open. This is obviously not a vitally critical problem but it IS annoying.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Without getting your physical hands on it, I don't think there is anything you can help WITH. The printer thinks everything is fine. It prints. This is apparently something mechanical, not 'electronic'. I'd rather spend any additional funds on a live person with hands, sorry.

As you wish.

But if you wanted to continue allowing me to try to find out the problem, it would be good if you could

A. photograph the inner end of the removed tray, with paper loaded in it

and

B. attach that photo to your Reply (tomorow, perhaps, since it is getting rather late here at least.)

Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 months ago.

Excuse me for interrupting, but I have the answer to your problem. My name is ***** ***** I am another printer expert on this Just Answer website. I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 printer, which is similar to yours. I have experienced the same problem that you are describing. The problem is that the surface on which your printer is resting is not solid enough and strong enough to support it without deforming so that it is no longer flat.

Because the slot that the cassette tray fits into is open on the bottom of the printer, if the surface it is resting on bends or deforms in any way, it interferes with the cassette tray, so that it cannot be fully inserted. Fortunately, the solution to this problem is quite simple. If you unweight the printer or slide it forward so that the tray overhangs the surface, it will allow you to slide the tray all the way in.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's nice of you, JK, but the surface the printer is on is a wooden table made of 2x4 and it is in no way bothered by the weight of the printer. I could stand on it if I wanted and it wouldn't flinch. Nice try.

The surface my not be smooth. Even though you do not agree with my analysis, pleas try my solution, which is to unweigh the printer by lifting it slightly while you slide the cassette tray in.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have lifted the printer. I have lifted the printer and taken the tray out and put it back. I have turned the damned printer upside down - the tray does not go all the way back. Period.

Okay. Thanks for the information. I am sorry that I cannot help you. Your problem is a printer hardware problem. I will opt out so that other experts can assist you. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Expert:  Elgin14 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is***** will help you with the request.

Try factory reseting the printer, to do it turn the printer off, turn it on and hold the bottom right corner on the screen.

If you dont know how to do it i leave a video with the instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0Ar1TyBHY

Let me know if it works

Expert:  Elgin14 replied 2 months ago.

Remember that you will need to configure printer again

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Guys. Really. You can drop it. I am able to manage this from here on out. If it was simple, I'm sure it was covered. I have live people who live here who can drop in and play around with this when I get around to it.