Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I'm getting an error message that there is a carriage jam. I

Customer Question

I'm getting an error message that there is a carriage jam. I have watched the how to video twice and none of those suggestions are working. The carriage is stuck on the right hand side and it will not move no matter how many times I power on a car off for reset the printer
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: HP Office jet J6480 all in one
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I'll have a MacBook Pro I don't know what the operating system is because the laptop is not powered on right now
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: A couple of days ago I printed a mailing label on standard paper. It printed just fine and as soon as it finished printing this error message came up
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ma'am
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Kevin T replied 11 days ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 11 days ago.

Can you give me the serial please?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Where on the machine would I be able to find that on the back?
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** Im a different expert here at Justanswer. It seems the previous expert opted out.

Did you still need help with this issue? If so, please respond so we can get started.

Otherwise, if you want to cancel this support ticket, please respond and let us know so that we know to close this ticket out. Thank you,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I still need assistance with my printer
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 days ago.

Allright.. lets dive in! Please allow me a few minutes to write out a thorough repair suggestion, and I will be right back with you.

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 9 days ago.

Better yet, HP finally published the full support document for this error.. So lets refer to this page.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01314068

The main points are, check thoroughly for paper jams in each area shown..

But most likely, something is under or beneath or blockig the carriages free movement.. The carriage is the part of the machine that moves left and right when its printing.. It can sometimes get stuck on its own cables, or if one side slides off its rails / track.. Or if a tiny bit of paper, paperclip, staple or debris is in the way.

So follow along with that guide methodically , and if you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
As I stated in my initial comment I have viewed that video from HP multiple times and I followed every step that was given and the carriage is still stuck on the right. I will however check underneath the carriage and see if there's anything underneath that and I'll let you know
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 days ago.

Allright.. If you didnt find anything under the carriage or blocking its movement, then what I need you to do is open the printer like you are going to change the ink cartridges, and then unplug the printer from power, then plug it back in and watch the carriage..

Does it move left to right or right to left at all? Is it making any noises when it moves or tries to move? Please describe the above as best as you can.. Thank you,

Dustin S