cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have worked on printers at my job for over 7 years.
20109878

Feeds multiple sheets, J825dw, about 4 years, PC Win 10,

Customer Question

feeds multiple sheets
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: J825dw, about 4 years
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Win 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: this has been going on for a number of months but recently has become a lot worse
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

Please make sure you are using paper that is 20-24lb, made for plain-paper copying. What type of paper are you using? Are you manually feeding it or do you have the tray in the back or below?

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

Also I see that the model has been discontinued.

Try this. Put one piece of paper in the tray and print. See if it gives an error after using that 1 piece of paper. Also check your printer queue to make sure it doesn't have anything else in the queue waiting.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

Also make sure all of your paper you loaded into the tray is the same (don't use different papers in the tray).

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

Also when loading paper, be careful not to push the paper in too far. It may damage the front edge of paper or the paper may go into the machine. Gently put the paper into the paper tray, and check the paper is flat in the tray as below.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

If the machine feeds multiple sheets of paper when there are only a few sheets left in the tray, clean the Base Pad (the square towards the front of the tray) with a damp soft lint-free cloth. Or if you can't find that, take out the tray, take out the paper and dump upside down to make sure there is no dirt or anything else in the tray. Take a lightly damp cloth and wipe the whole tray out. Let air dry or wipe with a dry cloth. Then put paper back into tray and see if it will only accept 1.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

Also before you load the paper back into the tray, fan the paper (run your fingers through the paper like you are looking for something) then load it into the tray.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
20lb paper, feed from tray, just printed 1 sheet
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1 sheet printed with no error, tray seems to be clean
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

Even though the tray seems to be clean, please take out all paper turn upside down and gentle shake, then take a slightly damp cloth and wipe over everything inside tray including the base pad (square in front of tray), then take a dry cloth and wipe dry the load paper back into printer. Then try to print and see if it takes up multiple papers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just printed one sheet with stack of paper in tray with no problems but this has been the pattern, i.e., prints OK but then will feed multiple sheets at random
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

Did it feed multiple sheets at random once you printed? Did you damp clean the tray and then dry it out? Try printing again a few times and see if it feeds multiple papers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cleaned the tray, printed 1 sheet with no problems but again this has been the pattern, that is, it will print OK for several print jobs but then will feed one or more extra sheets apparently at random with warning or indication of a reason or error message
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

Okay can you try printing different random items to see if it will multiple feed paper? If you can do that try printing different items (if you can) and see if it will feed only the sheets that you have to print.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
JUst printed 3 page doc with no problems but again this is consistent with the pattern I have described. Will have to have more trials to see if this has really fixed the problem before I give a proper rating for your service
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

Np keep me posted. If you can printer multiple times a day without any problems it could be your tray feeder is slightly damaged, that could be one problem. If you are using the wrong type of paper (which I see you are not) that could be another problem and the last problem is a dirty tray (I see that yours is not).

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks I will keep you posted. How do I do that?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have go now. Please tell me how to 'keep you posted'.
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 5 months ago.

Just come back to this chat and then type in what you want me to know.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning, Just wanted to know if it is still feeding multiple pages after we did the instructions above.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I followed all the steps, performance improved, i.e., less frequent miss feeding of multiple sheets but feeding of multiple sheets where part of a page gets printed on 2 or more sheets still occurs occasionally. Frustrating.
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 4 months ago.

Did you try changing to a heavier paper?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your continued interest. I have not been able to get heavier paper. I am recovering from major surgery and am not yet able to drive. I hope to be able to get out soon and will get some heavier paper. Shouldn't the 20 lb paper work?
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 4 months ago.

It should but sometimes they printer is quirky and slightly heavier paper would work.