John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Image Class MF216 laser printer, print not sharp, not solid

Customer Question

Image Class MF216 laser printer, print not sharp, not solid black. It's a new printer. I blamed the starter toner cartridge. I put in a new cartridge. Same result.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I am interested in the issue with your laser printer. I'd like to see the quality of the print, if you can scan an example, and post it with your Reply or attach it to your Reply.

That would be the most efficient way for me to assess what is causing the poor quality. (Though there are other ways, that take longer.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the scanned document sample attached.

Thank you for taking the time to scan and post that example. It makes the problem much clearer.

I need to ask, since the main address on the envelope looks more affected by the problem than the return address on one end of the envelope:

- is it true that the center of printouts is more affected by the problem, than the edges ?

- how recently were these replaced in your printer:

1 - the toner cartridge

2. - the drum, or developer (if this printer has a separate drum or developer not included in the cartridge... I confess, I have not looked that much up about this printer yet. So let me know, please.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced the cartridge two or three days ago. When I saw that the quality of printing did not improve, I contacted you. I bought the printer from Amazon in August, 2016. It was to replace an almost identical printer that I had for about 7 years. Its print was still black and crisp. I had trouble with it feeding envelopes. So I figured it was about worn out, so I replaced it. From day one the new printer did not do as well, I wrongly assumed it would get better.

Did the new printer provide crisp black print, when first set up? or has this problem been with it since you set it up?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I repeat my previous answer: The print quality was inferior from day one. I replaced the cartridge two days ago. Contrary to my expectations, the quality was the same.

- I apologize for missing that detail about the problem before. Thank you for clearing that up.

The cartridge has been replaced, the quality is still poor.

The cartridge for this printer combines drum and toner supply. So the drum has been replaced, essentially.

The other cause that is easy to check on, is the toner density setting. That could be changed to a higher setting.

And, the fuser rollers should be checked, in case they are pitted and worn out. Look closely for minute pitting.

Let me know how it goes, and what you observe, please. Thanks.