Jon
Jon, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Data Systems Analyst for a School District
97029936

I have an HP Office Jet Pro 8600. I just bought a new Mac

Customer Question

I have an HP Office Jet Pro 8600. I just bought a new Mac Book to replace my i mac. I used my back-up drive to set up the laptop. What do I need to do to sync them? The printer icon is in my system preferences but is labeled "idle." computer
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 2 yrs. -- OC X Sierra I believe . Just so you know up front you are dealing with the opposite of a text whiz.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: AHHH, none. I will try that and get back to you. Thanks.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Sudipto replied 8 days ago.

As you have used the backup drive to restore the data, it means the driver for the older version of Mac got installed. Please open the link below then, download the HP utility and run it then, follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall the printer.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-Officejet-Pro-8600-e-All-in-One-Printer-series---N9/4322914/model/4323658/swItemId/mp-166618-2

Expert:  Jon replied 8 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.com. I want to try and help you with your question.

Sounds like 2 things might be happening.

First in order to get your old info from your old mac to your new one, The easiest way is to use "Migration Assistant" that is built into the OS. Here is more on how to do this:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25651?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

When you mentioned that you used a "back-up" drive, do you mean you backed up all your individual files to an external HardDrive or flash Drive?

2nd, it sounds like you would like to get your HP Office Jet Pro 8600 working again. After, I can make sure you have all your old data on your new mac we can proceed to fix your printer issue. Please let me know the info above and when you are ready to proceed.

Thanks.

Expert:  Jon replied 8 days ago.

If you need help with the migration or have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.