Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I just replaced my tri color cartridge 61 in my 4630

Customer Question

I just replaced my tri color cartridge 61 in my 4630 printer. I have a message that the following ink cartridge must be replaced. It looks like a black circle beneath the message so I replace Hd my black printer. Still getting the message and I have replaced them both two or three times.
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: 4630 office jet. #61 tricolor which I received from Hewlett and a black 61 although I don'
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC. Os I don't know.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing. It was printing fine yesterday until I replaced the tricolor this am
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.