Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

Esterday I had to reset my Apple Computer back to day 1,got

Customer Question

esterday I had to reset my Apple Computer back to day 1,got every thing working except my Canon Pixma 5520 printer,got any suggestions.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: If you mean my printer it is a 21" desk top about 2 & 1/2 yrs old & my printer is a Cano Pixma 5520. Before I reset the computer back to day 1 they were working just fine.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: As far as I know there aren't any updates for the printer & all updates for the computer are current.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Well first I tried the usual printing method,when it didn't work I checked all connections that they are connected properly & secure,what else do I need,I'm not a professional
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 10 days ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message when printing?

Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Can you please click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on About this Mac..., then tell me the OS X version, such as 10.6, 10.7, ..., 10.9, 10.10, etc.?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please try the following:

STEP 1:

1. Click on the Canon website below:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-series-inkjet/mg5520?tab=drivers

2. There, select / click on the item MG5500 series CUPS Printer Driver...

3. Then download it, and install it.

STEP 2:

- Once the installation is successfully finished, then please do the next steps below:

1. Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on System Preferences.
  2. Then open Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax.)
  3. There, click on the Canon item, if it's there, then click on the - (minus) button at bottom left and confirm to delete it for now. Make sure there is not any Canon item showing there for now.
  4. Make sure printer is powered on (make sure there is power / light on the printer.)
    - (If the printer is connected to the computer with the USB cable, then make sure it is connected securely to both printer and computer.)
  5. Click on the + (plus) button at bottom left, and it should detect your Canon printer.
  6. If yes, select your Canon printer, then click on Add.
  7. Then print something and check.

- If there is still any issue, please answer my questions in my previous reply above, so I can troubleshoot the issue further.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,