Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Brother 8910DW - When I scan forms from the top

Customer Question

I have a Brother 8910DW - When I scan forms from the top tray to computer there is a line on the pages. I went to printer guide and it said to clean the corona wire - I did and it still has line going through it - How do I fix this problem?
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 8910 DW - it is about 3 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: HP PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: about a week There was a jam
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Does this happen both from the auto feeder as well as from the glass?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The line does not appear from the glass
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not think you can fix the line from a remote - I would like to know what to do
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session, this is optional and may be ignored if you wish. Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

What you mentioned about the corona wire is only for printing, not for scanning/copying.

<p style="margin-top:2.3pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.3pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:11.5pt">This will be the result of contamination in the ADF. Lift the lid over the adf and check carefully with a flashlight for any scraps of paper, stray staples or paperclips, etc. Clean all exposed rubber wheels/rollers with qtips and rubbing alcohol. Blow it out with compressed air, then close it back up.

0in;line-height:11.5pt">Lift the lid over the glass, then clean the underside of the lid on the far left side carefully, focusing on the thin plastic strip there (which is what guides the scanned page into the output tray), which is where the most dust tends to accumulate causing lines.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cleaned everything and it still has line??
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

To be clear, by ADF, I mean the auto feeder.

If it is coming out ok from the glass, the feeder is the only possibility and you most likely missed something on that plastic strip on the underside that I mentioned. Try cleaning again in between that (both sides) using qtips and a bit of windex or rubbing alcohol

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Nathan, still working with it - I have looked in feeder adf and it still has line going thru - I have not resolved problem yet.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Can you double check once more that the line does not show up if you copy from the glass directly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No not on glass, only on adf
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Clean that strip again,

and also clean the glass on the far left side, the first 2 inches or so. If still nothing, get a flashlight and check the glass there very carefully, in the position (widthwise) where the line shows on the paper, there may be something under the glass, or a scratch/nick in the glass.