Kevin T
Kevin T, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  IT Manager at Wood Group PSN
94743361

I HAVE A CANON MS5220 PIXMA and I cannot get rid of an error

Customer Question

I HAVE A CANON MS5220 PIXMA and I cannot get rid of an error message. Error stated is C0000. I have turned off the printer several times and turned it back on, but I still get the flashing YELLOW light along with the same error message.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Printer is about 4-5 years old. It has done this maybe once or twice, but it has always cleared itself once I turned the machine off.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Running from a desktop PC using Windows 10.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I had a paper jam right before this happened. I thought I cleared the paper out, but it did tear so maybe there's a piece of paper stuck some place? Happened 2 months ago.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's about it.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Kevin T replied 18 days ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 18 days ago.

Hi

Can you give me the serial number please?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I cannot locate the S/N, sorry.
Expert:  Kevin T replied 18 days ago.

Ok - would you allow me to connect and have a look?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The error message said I should refer to the Canon manual about this. I cannot find the manual, so that is why I contacted Just Answer. Can you just look it up in the manual for me, please?
Expert:  Kevin T replied 18 days ago.

This error code refers to a paper jam. Please follow all the steps below:

Issue: ERROR LCD: Error Code C000
Solution: Clearing Paper Jams - MG5220

If you have all the proper steps to remove the paper jam, pieces of paper and any debris within side the printer. you have done all the cleaning steps as well, including an air can, generally this is a sensor issue, that has a tiny spec on a sensor or laser.

Remove the paper following the procedure below.

1. Slowly pull the paper out, either from the Rear Tray or from the Paper Output Slot, whichever is easier.

View Full Image

note:

• If the paper tears and a piece remains inside the machine, turn the machine off, open the Scanning Unit (Cover), and remove the paper. Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine. After removing all paper, close the Scanning Unit (Cover), and turn the machine back on.
  • If you cannot pull the paper out, turn the machine off and turn it back on. The paper may be ejected automatically.

2. Reload the paper, and press the OK button on the machine.

If you turned off the machine in step 1, all print jobs in the queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

note:

• When reloading the paper, confirm that you are using the correct paper and are loading it correctly.
  • A5 sized paper is suited to printing documents consisting mainly of text. We do not recommend using such paper to print documents with photos or graphics, since the printout may curl and cause paper exit jams.

If you cannot remove the paper or the paper tears inside the machine, or if the paper jam error continues after removing the paper, contact the service center.

1. Detach the Rear Cover. The Rear tray Support must be extended fully to access.

View Full Image

2. Pull the paper out slowly.

View Full Image

note:

• Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine.

3. Attach the Rear Cover.

Push the left side of the Rear Cover until it is closed completely.

View Full Image

If you were not able to remove the paper out in step 2:

4. Remove the Cassette.

5. Pull the paper out slowly.

View Full Image

6. If any paper is sticking out of the Cassette, remove the paper, align and reload the paper in the Cassette.

If you did not remove the jammed paper out in step 1 to 5 when automatic duplex printing, check the duplex transport section.

note:

• When reloading the paper into the machine, confirm that you are using the correct paper and are loading it into the machine correctly.

7. Insert the Cassette into the machine again, and press the OK button on the machine.

If you turned off the machine in step 2, all print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

If you cannot remove the paper or if the paper tears inside the machine, or if the paper jam error continues after removing the paper, contact the service center.

1. Turn off the machine, and unplug the power cord of the machine from the power supply.

2. Remove the Cassette.

If the paper is loaded on the Rear Tray, remove the paper from the Rear Tray and retract the Paper Support.

3. Set the machine upright with the left side down.

attention:

• When standing the machine, make sure that the Scanning Unit (Cover) is closed securely.

4. Slowly pull the jammed paper out so that the paper does not tear.

View Full Image

note:

• Set the machine back to its original position immediately after removing the jammed paper.

5. Align the paper, then reload it in the Cassette.

Reload paper in the Rear Tray, if necessary.

note:

6. Insert the Cassette into the machine again.

7. Plug the machine back in and turn the machine back on.

All print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

Make sure of the following:

Check 1: Are there any foreign objects around the Paper Output Slot?

Check 2: Are there any foreign objects in the Rear Tray?

View Full Image

If there are any foreign objects in the Rear Tray, be sure to turn off the machine, unplug it from the power supply, then remove the foreign object.

View Full Image

Check 3: Is the Rear Cover closed completely?

Check 4: Is the paper curled?

Alright if that did nothing that means there is a tiny piece or pieces of paper inside the unit on or by a sensor. Basically you can head to walmart and get a cheap canned air and spray it inside all over, you will be suprised how much stuff comes out. Open and/or lift everything that you can possible slide or remove to find any piece of paper at all. It's amazing how a lil piece of paper about the size of an inch could cause this hassle. Usually in these printers, stuff that you can more around or remove from the printer is labeled green.

If you still can't find a paper jam, it is possible that there is another problem causing it, such as a sensor gone bad at the same time. I would recommend getting it serviced by an authorized Canon dealer, as color printers typicall run from 75-100.00 and would be much cheaper to repair than buy again.

I can mostly likely guarantee you that is it a piece of paper. If you are not comfortable enough to unscrew or take it apart an authorized Canon dealer would be happy to look at it for you.

If nothing is working I would advise to look up your warranty info as you may still have a warranty with Canon, I would and always advise people to contact the manufacturer directly to see if they still have a warranty. I know places like Canon and HP were either replacing or sending units out even if out of warranty or giving 50-75% off on services, repair, and new units. I would advise to do that, if they won't assist in helping I would advise to ditch the unit as it can be costly repairing out of pocket and head to walmart / bestbuy and get a new unit.

Glad I could be of assistance, god bless and happy holidays! If you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Please accept so I can be compensated for my time/work, also feedback and bonus' are highly appreciated!

Kevin

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate your assistance with the printer issue.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Expert:  Kevin T replied 18 days ago.

Please rate me above so I get credit :)