Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

Can not make the wireless connection. Pixima 920, Mac

Customer Question

Can not make the wireless connection.
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Pixima 920
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac /Yosemite
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I was able to connect but nothing out of the ordinary happened worked then the next time I went to print I had to attach a cable from the Mac to the printer. Then it works fine
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. To confirm, you are currently able to print with the USB cable connection, but you cannot print via wireless connection. Is that correct?

Was there any change recently to your computer or to your internet service / internet modem / router device that may have caused this issue?

What's the status of the Wi-Fi / wireless light / icon on the printer device?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Can you please disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet modem / router device(s) for about 3 minutes, then reconnect

, then turn off the printer, then disconnect the power cord from your printer for a couple of minutes, then re-connect, then turn on your printer

, then wait a few minutes, then see if you can print wirelessly.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

It looks like you are not there. Let me provide some more general solutions you can try when you are available. Please get back to me whenever you are available, so we can continue.

- If my first solution of disconnecting / reconnect the power cords of both the printer and the internet modem / router devices does not work, then please try the next solution below:

Solution #2:

1. Disconnect the USB printer cable from both the printer and the computer.
  2. Make sure printer is powered on.
  3. Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on System Preferences.
  4. Click on option Printers & Scanners.
  5. There, click on the Canon printer, then click on the - (minus) button at bottom left, and confirm to delete it for now. Make sure there is not any Canon item showing there for now.
  6. Click on the + (plus) icon at bottom left, and see if it detects your wireless Canon printer.
  7. If yes, then click on your Canon printer, then click on Add.
  8. Then see if you can print something now.

Solution #3:

STEP 1:

1. If that still does not work, then press Menu button on the printer.
  2. Use the arrow keys to highlight option WLAN setup. Then, press OK button.
  3. Wait a bit, and the printer should show a list of network name(s).
    - (Note: If a message appear on the printer's screen telling you to press the WPS button on the access point / router..., then do not press the OK button, but press the the red Stop button on the printer in order to clear this message.)
  4. Then the option Standard setup will be highlighted by default. Press OK button.
  5. Use the up and down arrow keys to select your wireless network from the list. Once you have highlighted your network, press OK.
  6. If prompted for passphrase (or key / password), then enter your wireless password (it is case-sensitive.) Your network / security / wi-fi / wireless password ***** key / passphrase is usually located at the back / bottom of your internet modem / router device(s). If there is any trouble, please let me know the model of your internet modem / router device.
    - Note: On the character entry screen, use the arrows and the OK button to enter in the characters for your wireless network's password. By default, lower case letters will be on the screen. If you need to switch to upper case letters or numbers and symbols, press the middle Function button below the screen. (Pressing the middle Function button (below Aa1) switches the character set to upper case letters)
    - While entering in the password, if you make a mistake, you can press the right Function button (below Del. character) to delete the incorrect characters.
    - After entering in the password, press the left Function button (under Done).
    - You will be back at the Enter passphrase screen. The password ***** entered in will be shown on the screen. If you need to make any corrections to the password, press OK and you will be able to make any corrections needed. If no corrections are needed, press the left Function key (under End setup).
    - When the printer connects to the network, press OK.
    - If needed, please click on the website below for full instructions / illustrations:
    https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART164598&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1479689846417
    - And/or click on the website below for video instructions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiGC-G83MRo
    ; Note: In the video, just ignore any step on the computer; only do the steps for the printer for now.

STEP 2:

1. Once STEP 1 is done successfully, click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on System Preferences.
  2. Click on option Printers & Scanners.
  3. There, make sure there is not any Canon item showing there for now. If you still see any Canon item, then delete it again.
  4. Then click on the + (plus) icon at bottom left, and see if it should detect your wireless Canon printer now.
  5. If yes, then click on your Canon printer, then click on Add.
  6. Then see if you can print something now.

- Optional: If you'd like to, I can also connect remotely to your computer, so I can troubleshoot and fix the wireless printing issue directly and quickly on your computer for you.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

How are you? Have you gotten a chance to try my solutions above yet?

Do you still need help with the printer issue? And/or do you need help with any other computer question / issue?