John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Have Canon PIXMA MG8120 printer which I really like. For

Customer Question

Have Canon PIXMA MG8120 printer which I really like. For several weeks had message "Ink absorber is almost full. Press OK to continue printing. Contact the Service Center." Apparently ink absorber is now completely full and printer will not print - get message "Error 5B00. Printer error has occurred. Contact the service center." Found directions for cleaning ink absorber but can't locate it in my computer. Would appreciate help.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: No, this is the first time this has happened. Have probably had the printer 6-8 years. It's a wonderful printer and I really don't want to have to get a new one.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac - OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.6
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Have seen the "Ink absorber..." message for the past few weeks, but since it kept printing, and I didn't know a Service Center, I just kept printing. Then, yesterday the printer error appeared and it will not print at all.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know where the ink absorber is on this machine so I can clean the pads - found directions to do this online, but I can't find the ink absorber on this machine.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Kevin T replied 18 days ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 18 days ago.

Can you give me the serial number please of the printer?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Where do I find the serial number?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I think I am in over my head - how do I get out of this site and I would like a refund of the money charged to my card. I had no idea this would be so complicated - the beginning screens of this site do not say that you will be charged, and then charged again - I want out, please.