Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I operate an iMac 10.4.11 desk top machine and for years I

Customer Question

I operate an iMac 10.4.11 desk top machine and for years I print to an Epson stylus photo R1900. I was using the printer when it require new cartridge inks in compatable supply. I now after fitting cartridges it will not accept them. Do I need to update the driver or what. The printer does not get past the install stage and does not pump the ink thro to the print head? Can you tell me if I need to download a new driver.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry but I was just looking for a technical fix not fighting a legal batttle. The brief way you deal with this is not clear from the start. I just needed a technical answer not a regular help line. tell me if you can give me an answer, which may need familiarity with how Epson operate and work now adays.. Thank you I do not want you in control of my Machine.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the delay - and whatever else you have commented on that seems to have been annoying - has not obviated my providing help, I would like to try to help by advising you on this.

The driver does not need updating in this circumstance.

The ink cartridges may need replacing - and perhaps, returning to the store as defective for a refund.

(I am assuming that you prepared the cartridges properly for insertion, before putting them in - removing protective tape, etc. etc. according to instructions. If you need those instructions by any chance, let me know, please.)

Does the printer produce an error message of any sort, in reaction to the new cartridges? if so, they may be defective cartridges, or wrong for the printer.

Or, if you put in 'compatible' cartridges, or re-chipped, etc., be warned: those often enough do not work, quite simply. Or don't work very well. That's why they are cheaper than the genuine OEM-original Epson article.

Lastly... if the printer is simply accepting the cartridges, they are right for the printer, but no ink gets on the paper... then the printhead is probably clogged.

This is usual when a printer has been disused for a considerable period - ink dries in the printhead, clogging it.

Sometimes this may be relieved with the proper sequence of Head Cleaning operations, run from the printer's own control panel (not done manually, which can often ruin the printhead and/or the cartridges), with judicious pauses in between runs of Head Cleaning. Let me know if the problem has gotten to this stage, and I will give you exact instrctions on how to proceed.