Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

It's stuck in the paperjam mode and won't reset. I have

Customer Question

It's stuck in the paperjam mode and won't reset. I have turned off, unplugged, removed paper, removed two sided cartridge in back, checked all paper trays and check every available spot. There is no paper anywhere and it won't clear itself. It's a pretty basic printer and not any place for paper to hide. Again, I have turned off and unplugged, several times. The computer that jammed the printer is also turned off and it was cleared in the print que and all printing canceled.
JA: What's the make and model of the printer?
Customer: Sorry HP Office Jet Pro 8600 Premium
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: It was my sons mac laptop and it had the 10 update. He has printed before no issue - this time it was in the two sided mode which always jams this printer but I have always cleared with no issues.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It only happens when you select two side printing - I never do and apparently his computer defaulted to two sided and it just says to remove rear access panel, etc. - all done.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that I think it is stuck in a loop to given no paper and all the areas clear and turned off and unplugged several times.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sadique. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

The most common and likely cause to this type of problem is either some foreign object/paper dust is stuck in the paper feed or printer, or the paper sensor in the feed tray has become dirty or defective.

Turn Off the printer, unplug it from the power as well as from computer completely.Then remove all paper from the paper feed unit and blow it out with compressed air a few times. With a flashlight look inside the paper feed to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen.

Next, take moistened Q-tips and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder using it. Then blow some compressed air inside the printer as well to remove excess dust and to dry the rollers.

Holding the printer in both hands , turn it upside down and gently shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area.

Then plug the printer back up and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper.Then try to print again.

If still it doesn't helps then as a last resort you can try forcing a thick paper or fold a A4 piece of paper in half, and then by hand push it through the machine, hopefully this may push any objects out.

After that turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by unplugging it from the power source.
Then unplug it from the computer and leave it that way for 10 minutes. Then replace everything back.

Tell me how it goes!