Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

I have an epson wp 2630. the black cartridge is not

Customer Question

Hi I have an epson wp 2630. the black cartridge is not recognized even though it is the correct one. I found a thin gold piece with 2 prongs and a center piece that looks like it is used to read the cartridge. I can see where the reader is missing the piece, the question is how to I reinstall it. It is so small. Does it push into place or do I load it from the top? I hope this makes sense. Thank you, Felicity
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it's newly purchased, less than 6 months old. epson wf-2630
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc, the printer was working, but i think this gold piece is missing
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: i.e. it's hooked up correctly to the pc
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it, simply how can I put this piece back in
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 19 days ago.

Hi, I'm Sadique. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Epson printers use a series of thin gold plated wire contacts that the cartridge chip slides and presses against - when cartridge is installed. These contacts can corrode, or stick to the chip, particularly if they ever had any ink contamination. The wires can sometimes bend, or even get pulled out - with cartridge, when it is removed. If this is the case, there may not be that much you can do to fix it, other than getting the printer serviced.
Note: If you can find the missing wire contact and it's not damaged, sometimes it's possible to push it back in it's slot. It's fiddly and you need careful vision, but it can be done. Be careful not to bend it or damage something else in the process.

As your printer is under warranty, you can repair it free of cost.