John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Brother mfc 8810DW printed envelopes perfectly through Word

Customer Question

brother mfc 8810DW printed envelopes perfectly through Word 2013. Go into Word 2013 blank doc; select mailing;select envelope. I disconnected my computer & printer while reflooring office. Now envelopes won't print properly When I enter address & envelope orientation as previously, it prints delivery address in middle (lengthwise) & at the top
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 16 days ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. I'm sorry that you are having this trouble. I will do my best to help. Have you tried changing the orientation? For example, if it is landscape, try portrait, and if it is portrait, please try landscape. Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Has no effect
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
When I switch to landscape it has me open the back of the printer which is unusual
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It's like the printer isn't reading the envelope size, etc. that I've selected in WORD
Expert:  GeekGal replied 16 days ago.

That is helpful information. According to the user manual for this print, that is the best way to print envelopes and thick paper, etc. because there is a direct path through the printer with less chance of a jam. Her's link to the user manual:

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/Brother%20MFC-8510DW-MFC-8710DW-MFC-8810DW-MFC-8910DW%20Printer%20Basic%20User%20Guide.pdf

Please click this link and navigate to page 13 to review the illustarted instructions. It could be that you need to orient the envelopes differently. Are you inserting them long size first or narrow side first?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have printed thousands of envelopes on this printer. I'm doing it the same way I always have.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 16 days ago.

I understand, but since the way that you have always done it isn't working for you, I am trying to help you find a way that will work. When you click print, you should see a popup box that may give some advanced options such as choosing the paper source. If you would like to print landscape without using the rear feed, please look for an option to change the paper source. Let me know if you see any option for that.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If I load an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, the left half of the paper (lengthwise) prints the address perfectly. I can fold the paper in half lengthwise & it looks like a perfectly addressed envelope. However, there's no way to feed an envelope on the left side of the manual feeder. It requires you to feed it in the middle
Expert:  GeekGal replied 16 days ago.

My apologies. The envelope should exit through the rear tray. it must be placed in the mp tray. We will need to check the page setup in Office 2103. Please give me just a moment to type out instructions.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
10 business envelopes curl up through the same path as a sheet of paper
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The feed through the manual drop down door in the front
Expert:  GeekGal replied 16 days ago.
  1. Click File > New > Blank document.

2. Click Mailings > Envelopes.

3. In the Delivery address box, type the address.

4. In the Return address box, type your return address.

5. Word gets information from your printer about how to load the envelope. Under Feed, you should see a picture indicating how the envelope should be oriented.

6. Click Print.

7. When Word prompts you to save the return address, click Yes.

Change the size, font, or layout

1. On the Envelopes tab in the Envelopes and Labels box, click Options > Envelope Options.

2. To change the envelope size, click the arrow next to the Envelope size list and select the choice that matches the size of your envelopes.

3. To change the font, under Delivery address or Return address, click Font and choose the font you want to use.

4. To change the position of the addresses, click the up or down arrow next to From left or From top. The Preview area shows you the new layout.

Save your envelope settings and use them again

To save all of the settings you just created for future use: in that same box (Mailings > Envelopes), click Add to Document. You’ll see the envelope added to your document as page 1. Click File > Save As, choose a location, give the envelope a name, and click Save.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
done all that already
Expert:  GeekGal replied 16 days ago.

I hardly think that you took the time to read through all of that so quickly, and I also think it very unlikely that you have looked at the manual that I provided. It doesn't seem that I will be able to help you, so I will opt out and open the question to other experts. Have a pleasant evening.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I scanned through that exactly that quickly & manually setting the inches from the top or side had no effect. I have been through the manual before I contacted you. It appears that you can only suggest what I've already tried. Much like when you speak with someone in India who's reading from a list of pre-set questions
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I can read manuals and do online searches. I'm expecting more than that for my $23
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How about you refund my $23 and I'll pay for support at HP
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sorry, I meant Brother