WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Technician
Experience:  Over 5 years as a computer and printer repair technician
21171802

I've got an Epson WF Pro 4630 and have been searching for a

Customer Question

Hi John. I've got an Epson WF Pro 4630 and have been searching for a solution to having an error message that tells me to clear a paper jam or use the rear paper feeder. There is no jam to clear. I have tried the various solutions I've seen on the net: reload the inks--no change; unplug the power cord and start again--the error message remains; do a combination of both things--no result. I have found no objects in the printer. Though we weren't using the paper feed, we took a rag to the rollers. Nope. I hope you can help.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: We've had it less than a year. The exact model is Work Force Pro WF-4630. Model C511A. Is that enough info?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have a Mac Pro laptop with the most recent OS (Sierra), but printing from the Mac was not the problem. We were using the copier to copy some black and white ink drawings on standard 8 1/2 by 11 paper.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We copied 25 drawings, not using the feeder but placing them one by one on the plate. When we got to the last two the printer began acting up. We couldn't find a paper jam nor could we figure out how to use the back feeder, which the program advised us to do.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's the gist of it. Thanks, Pearl.
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I can help with the issue.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** do you suggest I do?
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 7 months ago.

This problem is most likely due to a dirty roller or bad motor. Using a damp paper towel with Windex or water, the rollers need to be cleaned so they are slightly sticky for the paper to catch. If doing that does not work, then it could be a faulty motor that is pulling the paper too slow. When this happens, the printer thinks it's a paper jam.

The best thing to do then is get a replacement printer under warranty. https://epson.com/contact-us

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. We'll give it a try. I believe it is still under warranty if this doesn't work, but I'll have to check. Could you clarify exactly which rollers and where they are?
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 7 months ago.

With the printer trays removed (if applicable), start where the paper first touches any roller and start with that one. It will be difficult to clean the rollers, which is usually done by a printer technician and removes the main cover.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK. As it happens it is still under warranty, so I guess I'd best figure out how to follow up. We bought it at Office Depot but we may have to send it back to Epson, is that correct?
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 7 months ago.

Correct, it would need to be returned to Epson.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Many thanks for your help, Wes.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 7 months ago.

No problem. Sorry you are having trouble with the printer.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if I can assist further.
Also, rate my answer based on your satisfaction.
Thank you.