Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Thank you. I had a print head failure problem and cleaned

Customer Question

Hi, thank you.
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: I had a print head failure problem and cleaned the head. It;s an HP 6700 Premium printer. Now I get the error 0x610000f6 ink carriage error. I've done the turning off for 60 seconds and back on again but still get the same error.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Wireless from a WIndows 8.1
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We started noticing the initial missing printhead error about 3 days ago but it workd after restarting, then today after printing 4 pages it stopped altogether and wouldn't let us do anything.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that we soaked the print assembly in warm water and cleaned it 3 times to make sure it's clean, put it back together but now it seems to be buggered more than when we started... ;-(
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Unfortunately this indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Okay, thanks. It's fine, we'll probably just replace the whole unit. We've already done the cleaning and resetting.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No, it's okay. As you say, it's probably the hardware that failed, and/or a software trigger programmed that it "should" fail.... Forced redundancy.
How do I go ahead to have the deposit refunded...?
Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/29wF4OP or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Regarding the deposit, I'm not sure why you would feel that should be refunded. For comparison purposes, had you called a tech out on site or gone to a repair shop you'd be paying 4x this amount for the exact same answer.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help. Asking for a refund or not paying the agreed upon fee has the effect of forcing me to work for free for my time spent helping you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 15 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.