John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have black blotches on left margin and a one in margin

Customer Question

I have black blotches on left margin and a one in gray margin down left side of page
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: MFC9130CW
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows 10 64x64
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Probably a month, this is my wife's printer. I am not terribly familiar with it. yearerdat I cleaned the drums and the blotches aware better
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 15 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What sort of 'cleaning of drums' operation did you do? one from the control panel?

If from the control panel, then doing the drum cleaning again, once or twice more, might clear up the problem and can do no harm, I think.

If you could scan a page, and post it to your reply, I would be able to assess the situation.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I cleaned I think it is called the corona wire several times and also took the cartridges out of the drum and cleaned the left side of the drum with a "q" tip.

Touching the blueish-greenish photoconductive drum with anything is not a good idea.

It damages very easily.

Please tell me: on printed pages, do the blotches repeat themselves down the page? if so, at what interval do they recur, or how many times do they appear down the page?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The blotches are about the size of a dime on the left side of the page about 3 inches down from the top of the page

Do the blotches repeat themselves down the page?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No

I really need to see what they look like then.

If you scan a page with the defects/blotches onto a file on your computer, then when composing your reply to me, use the 'paper-clip' icon, you can select that file to send to me when you post your Reply.

That would help a great deal with my advising you well.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm not really good on thr computer.Any chance I could try to send you a picture?

Yes, that would be good too! Thanks.

If you need help doing so, let me know. It's all toward getting your printer problem fixed.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Photo