John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I am not able to send or receive faxes canon color image

Customer Question

i am not able to send or receive faxes canon color image class MF8280CW
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: HP
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am not able to scan anything from canon to my computer either
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 23 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I will need to get more details about the problem, please, before I can hope to give good advice as to what to do, or as to what is wrong:

- has the phone line service currently in use for faxing, worked properly before this?

- can you still do a photocopy on the ImageClass machine, using the machine's own controls and buttons ?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
everything was working fine before
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
i can make copies fine

Good to hear that!

What phone line service do you have? serving the Canon ImageClass machine, I mean.

And when you try to send a fax, what is the result, and does an error message of any sort show on the ImageClass machine's display or control panel ? (And if so... what's the error?)

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
at&t is the provider it just states busy/no signal

Then you need to check on two things:

1. get a phone onto that same line that the ImageClass machine is working with. (Plug an extension phone or handset into the 'PHONE' or 'P' jack, next to the 'L' or "LINE" jack that the phone line goes to, on the back of the Canon ImageClass machine.) Lift the handset, or listen to it - is there a dial tone ? a busy signal? an error message if you try to dial out? some odd tone?

Let me know the details please.

2. also check that the phone line goes to the L or LINE jack... it won't work on the P or PHONE jack, which is for extension phones etc.